Good morning, luvs! It is so good to be back, especially since Bear’s surgery went beautifully and he is healing up nicely. Such a relief. 🙂
I’m also happy because, after a couple years of tests and doctors and specialists, we’ve finally (fingers crossed!!) pinned down how to help me get better. I started a new medicine last week and I’m already feeling like a new woman. 🙂 It will take time to get back to full health and strength, but I’m on my way and that is worth celebrating.
Everything is beautiful, everything, and I find myself stopping in front of the windows all day long to take it in.
Normally this dish uses spinach, but I like using massive leaves of silverbeet (known as Swiss Chard in North America). Simply steam the trimmed silverbeet and while it’s cooking, saute garlic slices in olive oil until they just begin to get a hint of color. Remove them to a paper towel and give them a quick salting (they give a lovely bit of crunch to the dish). In the same oil, saute a handful of sultanas or currants or cranberries or any other dried fruit you fancy, and a handful of pine nuts. Cook until the fruit plumps up and the nuts turn golden brown. Drain and chop the silverbeet and add it to the pan, tossing gently to incorporate oil, nuts, and fruit. Serve warm topped with the crispy garlic or a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Catalan Style Silverbeet
1 bunch silverbeet, washed, rib removed
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup sultanas or currants or cranberries
1/3 cup pine nuts
Optional: Parmesan cheese
- In large pot, steam silverbeet until tender, drain and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and fry gently just until it gets a bit of color. Remove to paper towel and salt.
- Add fruit and nuts to pan, fry until fruit plumps and nuts brown.
- Add silverbeet and fry 1-2 minutes, stirring gently to incorporate oil, fruit, and nuts.
- Serve warm with toasted garlic and/or sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.