It’s nearly Christmas Eve here in Australia, and I’m taking a break from baking and cleaning to wish you a very, very Happy Christmas. 🙂
You’re probably up to your ears in Christmas baking already, but if you have a hankering for something delicious but not too sweet for breakfast over the holidays, you might want to try this Danish pastry handed down from my Danish grandmother to my Mums to me. 🙂
Tender and moist laced with the scent and flavor of almonds, it is a splendid accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee on a lazy holiday morning.
And now I must be off! Almost time to decorate my Valencia Orange Christmas tree and try my hand at an English Christmas pudding. 🙂
Much love and a big Christmasy hug to you! xo
from Joy Bjorn and Ruth Bjorn
1 cup butter divided in half
2 cups flour divided in half
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp almond flavoring
3 eggs (or 2 duck eggs)
1/2 cup sliced almond, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup flour and salt until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water and toss with fork until mixture holds together when pinched.
- Form dough into log, divide in half and press into each half onto an ungreased cookie sheet into a rectangle about 4 inches by 12 inches. (To avoid extra clean up, I cover cookie sheet with parchment paper first.) Place cookie sheets in freezer while you prepare next layer.
- Pour boiling water into small saucepan and add remaining 1/2 cup of butter. When butter melts, remove from heat and add almond flavoring.
- Stir in 1 cup of flour all at once. Beat smooth and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Remove cookie sheets from frezer and spread this mixture evely over the pastry strips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, lower heat to 400 F. and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
- Remove from oven and frost while still hot as directed below.
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 Tbsp soft butter
3 Tbsp cream
1 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon frosting into plastic sandwich bag, scissor off one small corner to use for piping.
- Drizzle line of frosting back and forth over each pastry.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve warm or at room temperature with hot coffee.