“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Marcus Tullius Cicero
I love walking through my garden just after the sun comes up. Everything glistens and glows and I see details etched with light that I would otherwise miss.
Just being in there inspires me and sets me dreaming of roasted fennel salad, peppery nasturtium vinegar, and big, frosty glasses of lemonade spiked with pineapple sage. Mmm.
The chicory is just waiting to be sauteed with healthy homemade sausage and tossed with gluten-free pasta for a no-fuss wintry dinner.
My mustard greens have just started sending up spiky yellow flowers above their delicate purple and lime green leaves and I love how stately they look.
As usual the mint is running rampant, sneaking under borders to infiltrate nearby tomatoes and purple cauliflower. But I don’t mind. If it gets too wild I can just trim it back and use the trimmings to make mint iced tea or medieval deodorant.
My favorite part is picking fresh asparagus every day. It shoots up overnight and is wonderful tucked into omelettes, added to salads with a lemony vinaigrette, or eaten right there on the spot.
After letting all the birds out to forage in the grass, I went up to the house for brekky.
This morning I had creamy scrambled eggs topped with a garlicky, lemony white bean salad tossed with ripe Roma tomatoes. It’s such a scrumptious and hearty way to get lots of fortifying protein into me along with the vitamins and minerals from the garlic, parsley, and Romas. Mmm.
What is your favorite nourishing breakfast these days?
Scrambled Eggs with White Bean Roma Salad
1 bunch fresh parsley (about 2 Tbsp), chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lemon, juiced, pips removed
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt to taste
2 cups cooked, drained and rinsed white beans (I like cannellini)
2 ripe Roma tomatoes, cored and diced
4 large eggs
2 Tbsp coconut milk (or cream)
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
sea salt to taste
olive oil for pan
- In medium bowl whisk together parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt until emulsified.
- Add beans and tomatoes and stir gently until everything is coated with dressing. Set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, minced garlic, and sea salt.
- Drizzle olive oil in small frying pan and heat over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes until hot.
- Add scrambled eggs and cook to desired level of doneness.
- Divide eggs between two plates and top with white bean Roma salad. Serve immediately.