I love getting new body products. The luscious lotions, soaps, and scrubs smell so good and always make me feel spoiled and special.
What I do not like are the toxic chemicals and perfumes they often contain. It’s rather dreadful to have saved up for a special jar of something, only to discover it burns, itches, or stings.
Recently I’ve been studying how to make my own and it has been so much fun. 🙂 I feel like a little girl in kindergarten mixing and brewing, stirring and sniffing as I experiment.
My recent favorite bit of pampering is a Peppermint Sugar Body Scrub.
Essential oils are wonderful, healing, soothing, restoring, and all manner of good things. Although I’ve chosen peppermint for this one, you can choose any essential oil you like, from lavender or eucalyptus to rose or bergamot.
I like peppermint because it feels Christmasy and cool and is an excellent oil for easing sore muscles, clearing sinuses, and taking away headaches.
You can use any pure extra virgin oil for this recipe, but I prefer apricot oil because it is so wonderful for the skin and is easily absorbed.
The nice thing about this scrub is that it can be made in less than five minutes and looks like snow in the jar, a perfect Christmas project.
Do you ever make your own body products? What is your favorite scent?
Peppermint Sugar Body Scrub
1 cup white sugar
1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin apricot oil
10-15 drops peppermint essential oil
- Pour sugar into medium-sized bowl.
- Add apricot oil a spoonful at a time, mixing well after each addition, until mixture resembles wet sand or slushy snow. You should be able to form it into shapes that hold together.
- Add peppermint essential oil and mix well.
- Scoop mixture into clean glass jar, tamping it down so there aren’t any large gaps.
- Top with 1-2 spoonfuls of oil to keep moist.
- Seal and store until ready to use.