Eating at my Mum’s table is always a wonderful experience. Guests are greeted with warm hugs and beaming smiles and ushered into her beautifully decorated living room where they’re regaled with jokes from my Dad as Mums bustles about getting everything ready.
Last week was no exception. Our cold weather made its first appearance and when I arrived just moments before our friends Art and Donna, I made a beeline for the heater in the corner. Mmm, the house smelled so good! We took our seats around the table and started on a fresh green salad topped with candied almonds, dried cranberries, mandarin orange segments and a Raspberry Pecan vinaigrette.
Next Mum brought out steamy bowls of Red Lentil Dal and a basket of grainy bread that we slathered with butter and dipped into our soup. It warmed us up beautifully and we happily chit-chatted through second helpings.
Dessert was a marvelous rum-drizzled Hot Fudge Pudding Cake and we tucked into it whilst watching the delightful A Month By The Lake that had us positively DYING to go to Italy!!! If you haven’t seen pictures of Lake Como, click here to be whisked away to a place of stunning vistas, welcoming villas, and, well, George Clooney. That guy shows up everywhere! 😉
Does your Mom like cooking? If yes, what is your favorite thing that she makes?
Mum’s Dal Soup
2 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
4 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup dry red lentils
2 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
Sea salt and ground pepper
Garnish: cilantro and lemon wedges
- In a saucepan saute butter, garlic and onion until onion is transparent. Add spices and coo, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lentils, lemon juice, vegetable stock, coconut milk and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 min. until lentils are tender. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Serve with warm naan bread.
Mum’s Hot fudge Pudding Cake
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. oil
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour,baking powder, salt, sugar, and cocoa in a bowl.
- Stir in milk and oil. Add walnut pieces, stir well then spread in 9″ prepared square pan.
- In small bowl mix sugar and cocoa and sprinkle over batter.
- Over the whole thing pour hot water and bake 45 min. Cake rises to the top, sauce settles to the bottom.
- Drizzle with rum and serve warm with ice cream.