It’s a quiet Thursday night and I’m nursing a sore throat with salt water and hot tea. It’s kinda nice to be cozy in bed, listening to Mediaeval Baebes, playing Scrabble on Facebook and reading Anne Lamott.
A few days ago I was reading my new blogger friend Chaya’s post at Sweet and Savory Says It All and was startled to see my name in a list of blogs she’d chosen for the Sugar Doll Blogger Award!!! Thank you, Chaya! 🙂
Chaya was one of my first readers and bent over backwards to make me feel welcome in the blogging world. She provided tips and encouragement and I love her homey recipes that she makes for her beloved hubby and family. 🙂 I’m such a newbie at all this she had to tell me what I was supposed to do with the award. 🙂 So, dear Chaya, here goes! Better late than never! 🙂
First I’m supposed to share 10 things about myself. Heavens!
- I have lived in 24 different places since I was born.
- I wish I had a treehouse.
- I am Canadian but have spent more of my life in the United States.
- I love to travel and Turkey, Romania and Australia are at the top of my go-to-next list.
- My favorite author is John Buchan and I must have Earl Grey tea when reading his books.
- My favorite color is red and it never fails to cheer me.
- I do not like mushrooms. Nope. Not at all.
- My dream house would have a library. And a secret passage.
- I hang jewelry on my wall because it’s too pretty to hide away until wearing.
- I rediscovered the Library this year, and still can’t believe they let us take books away for free.
Now I’m supposed to pass the blog along to 10 other blogs. I don’t know how I’m supposed to choose just 10 – I love far too many! – but I’ll do my best. The first five are blogs that cheer my heart every day, the last five are foodies who nourish body and soul.
- Trish at www.trishlawrence.com – Trish is one of my dearest friends and one of the bravest women I know. We met at the religious cult we found ourselves in as teenagers, and I could not have made it through the aftermath of that without her love, understanding and relentless encouragement.
- Jacqueline at Bliss – a brave lady in her own right, Jacqueline inspires me with the wonderful images she collects and her amazing courage. It was this post that jolted me out of a fearful cocoon and set me on a path of bravery and honesty: Do One Thing Every Day That Scares You
- DustJacketAttic – This lovely Aussie delights me with her collection of fashion images from around the world ranging from magical and mysterious to Old World.
- Lauryl – her artistry and creativity are nothing short of exquisite. From weddings to parties, her imagination knows no bounds.
- Frugal Trenches – her love for the outdoors and simple pleasures is infectious.
- Duchess – her recipe for Ginger Chocolate Tart made me swoon and I LOVE the etching on her site.
- Karine from Food Gourmand – she’s honest about her flops and her successes are divine.
- Joanne at Eats Well With Others – she’s sassy and spunky and makes me laugh every day.
- Confessions of a Tart – she is always real and bakes up a storm.
- El from Fresh – a lovely soul who makes amazing things like Creamy Chocolate and Imperial Wedding Tea Truffles
This past year has been a rough one with health issues, so I’ve been operating under the mantra if I put good things in, good will come of it. This year I’m determined to use a greater variety of whole grains in salads, soups, gratins, etc, and today I’m dining on a Quinoa Pesto Salad with Broccoli and Almonds.
I was inspired by Heidi at 101 Cookbooks and rummaged about in fridge and shelves to see what I had to work with.
I found red quinoa and set it to cooking in a pot of water with a bit of salt.
Then lightly steamed some broccoli just until it was gorgeously bright green.
When the quinoa was cooked, I fluffed it up and mixed it with a jar of pesto…
…then added chopped broccoli, some grated feta cheese and sliced almonds.
Deeelicious! The pesto makes it feel richer than it is, and the red quinoa, bright green broccoli and pale almonds bring color and festivity.
Quinoa Pesto Salad with Broccoli and Almonds
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 bunch broccoli, steamed and chopped
1 small jar pesto
1 ounce feta cheese, grated
1 handful sliced almonds
Combine and enjoy!