Good morning, luvs! Oh, I am a happy soul today. I’ve had an entire weekend of glorious sunshine, hikes in the woods, and true comfort food. I finished reading an entire book and watched the fascinating new PBS series Downton Abbey. I feel inspired and rested, ready for a brand new week. 🙂
It’s still wicked cold around here, but the sun has been out and I had to be out in it. So I bundled up and went for long walks every day, so thrilled to see snowdrops and crocuses blooming cheerily.
I just loved being out there, breathing deeply of cold, fresh air mingled with wood smoke, strolling past neighbors going for walks with their kidlets.
When I got home from my walk this afternoon I was craving comfort food and hastily whipped up a batch of whole wheat scones. Mmm, they smelled so toasty and grainy fresh out of the oven.
I slathered one half with lime curd and the other with boysenberry jam, then topped each one with a healthy dollop of sour cream and dug in. Oh my. Twas pure deliciousness and the perfect accompaniment to a big mug of Earl Grey Tea and a British mini-series.
What is your favorite memory from this weekend?
Whole Wheat Scones
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
2/3 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Combine first five ingredients, sift if necessary.
- Blend in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir half and half and egg together. Add to dry mixture and toss with fork until moistened.
- Lightly mix dough until it holds together.
- Pat into circle 1/2 inch thick. Cut into wedges.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.