We’ve had the most scrumptiously warm weather this week! No jackets needed, scarves removed by noon, short sleeves and breeze-catching dresses the order of the day for my afternoon walk.
On the last few minutes of my walk today I rounded a corner and came face to face with a pert little miss riding her bicycle, blond hair mussed in the wind, training wheels clattering as she braked to a halt. “Hello!” she called cheerily. “Do you want to come get some purple flowers from my mom?” Grinning I said “I’d love to but I have to get back to work right now.” Without a seconds hesitation, she thrust out a drooping cluster of white flowers she had clenched in her fist, and bestowed them on me. I thanked her profusely for her gift and she bid me farewell. As I turned to walk back to work she shouted in delight, “That’s MY path! I’ll go with you!” So she pedaled like mad to stay a bit ahead of me, stopping now and then to smile back at me until we parted ways at the corner. She totally made my day. 🙂
Cold Cauliflower Curry with Green Peas
(Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp toasted ground cumin
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/4 cup peeled and grated ginger
4 tsp toasted ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp turmeric
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 large cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces, including the stems
1/2 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed (I didn’t have these so I used frozen peas, thawed)
2 tsp green mango powder (I didn’t have this so I used ground pomegranate powder)
1 tsp garam masala
- In a white pot heat the oil over medium high heat. Add cumin and asafetida and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the ginger, coriander, cayenne and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the onion, lower the heat and cook until limp, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Mix everything together.
- Pour in 1/2 cup water, cover pot and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for a few minutes more, until they’re bright green.
- Add mango/pomegranate powder and garam masala, stir together, taste for salt, and serve.