For as long as I can remember, Nanaimo Bars have been a feature at every family holiday dessert table. The mere mention of the name can cause my overseas brothers to groan in jealous delight. 🙂
They come from my homeland of Canada and are devilish little morsels, chock full of butter and chocolate and more butter.
So on this most American of holidays, I wish my Yankee friends HAPPY THANKSGIVING and share a little treat from our Canadian Thanksgiving holidays.
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons vanilla pudding powder
2 cups powdered sugar
4 ounces dark chocolate
1/4 cup butter
- Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler or heavy saucepan.
- Add egg & stir to cook & thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients& press firmly into an ungreased 9 x 9-inch pan.
- Cream all ingredients together; beat until light.
- Spread over bottom layer.
- Melt chips & butter over low heat; cool.
- When cooled but still runny, spread over middle layer.
- Chill in refrigerator. Use a very sharp knife to cut into squares.